Lemon & Poppyseed Muffins
23rd August 2020
A lemony muffin with a creamy cream cheese frosting. Perfect for afternoon tea.
My Tips: For the frosting, if you dont have a piping bag, you can use a food bag. Put all you icing into it, spin the top and tie a secure knot in the top. Cut about 1/2cm off of one corner of the bottom of the bag (the smaller the cut the more precise and small the piping)... and you have a homemade piping bag!
FOR THE MUFFINS
* 250g Self-raising flour
* 200g Caster sugar
* ½ Tsp Bicardonate of Soda
* ½ Tsp Baking Powder
* 3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
* 250g Unsalted butter (at room temperature)
* 4 Large Eggs
* Juice and Zest of 1 Large Lemon
* 1 Tbsp Milk (whole is ideal)
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
* 75g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
* 120g Cream Cheese
* 400g Icing Sugar
* Juice and zest of ½ large lemon
FOR AN EXTRA LEMONY TASTE
* Juice of ½ large lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180degreesC. Prepare your muffin tin by lining with muffin cases.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, bicarb and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add 2tbsps of the poppy seeds to the dry ingredients (reserve the rest for decoration).
3. Add the butter, eggs, lemon juice and half the lemon zest (reserve the rest of the zest for decoration) and then whisk until smooth.
4. Add the milk and whisk for a further 30 seconds, making sure the mixture is smooth and even.
5. Add the mixture to your muffin cases, fill until about two thirds full.
6. Put in the oven for approximately 25 minutes (until golden brown and cooked all the way through)
7. While the muffins are cooking, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk well. It helps to cut the butter into small cubes. Put the frosting in the fridge until ready to use.
8. Keep the juice of the other half of the lemon to soak into the cupcakes for an extra lemony taste.
9. Take out of the oven and place on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes. During this time, piece holes into the muffins and pour in the extra lemon juice.
10. Once cooled, they are ready for the frosting. You can get creative here piping the icing on the top. Decorate with the spare poppy seeds and lemon zest. Enjoy!