13th December 2020
This is our favourite family homemade mince pies, being made since 1995, recipe was handed on from a lovely lady, Jane Barter.
Tips: These are perfect to freeze and enjoy warmed up later x
* 225g Plain Flour
* 55g Ground Almonds
* 140g Room Temperature Butter (plus extra for greasing tray)
* 1 Orange (Grated Rind)
* 55g Caster Sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
* 1 Egg
* 10g Cold Water (Dessert Spoon)
* A Jar of Mince Meat (you may not need it all, but can decide how much you would like to add!)
* 12 Hole Baking Tin
* x2 Round Cutters (8cm and 6cm)
* 2 Teaspoons
* Pastry Brush
1. Preheat the oven to 190degreesC.
2. Rub with fingers flour, almonds and butter in to a fine crumb.
3. Add caster sugar and orange rind (juice the orange to drink!).
4. Separate your egg into the yolk and white. Keep your white to a side for use later. Add one egg yolk and the water to bind the crumb and bring together into a ball of pastry.
5. Dust your work surface with plain flour. Separate the ball of pastry into 2/3 and 1/3. (The 2/3 is for the base of the mince pies and 1/3 for the tops).
6. Grease your baking tin with some butter.
7. Roll out the 2/3 ball as thin as you can manage. Cut out 12 circles of pastry using the 8cm cutter. Add these to your baking tin.
8. Take your teaspoons, one of which you can use to pick up some mince meat, the other you can use to push the mince meat into each pastry case. You can fill these however much you like, we usually use one teaspoon per pastry case.
9. Once all 12 of the base pastry cases are filled. Take the 1/3 of your pastry. Again roll it out as thin as you can, but this time use the 6cm cutter to cut 12 circles, which will make the lids.
10. Take your pastry brush and the egg white from earlier, and brush the outside rim of the pastry cases in the tin which are filled with mince meat (this will help your lids attach). Then add a lid to each mince pie.
11. Brush the lids with the remaining egg white and dust with a little caster sugar. This will help to make them go golden brown and too give the a meringue crust.
12. They are ready for the oven! Place on a middle shelf in the oven, and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
13. Take out of the oven, place on a baking tray to cool slight/
14. Enjoy these warm or cold, on their own or with custard/ cream, and enjoy!