Open Egg Sandwich
24th February 2023
My open egg mayo sandwich is a delicious lunch idea and quick alternative to scrambled eggs! Eggs are one of my favourite ingredients to use as they are just so versatile! I love making scrambled eggs, but they can take a lot of time, care and attention to get right so I came up with this delicious quick alternative.
My Tip: You can boil a few eggs ahead of time, soft boiled eggs will last about two days in the fridge while hard-boiled ones will last about a week!
* 1 Egg
* 1Tsp fresh chives, chopped
* 1Tsp mayonnaise
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* For serving (optional): toast, rocket, tomatoes, spring onions and a pinch of smoked paprika
1. Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water and bring it to a rolling boil. Slowly lower a room-temperature egg into the water using a spoon (to prevent them from cracking!)
2. Set a timer for 6-7 minutes for a soft-boiled egg (I like them soft-boiled to give the illusion of scrambled eggs but if you prefer hard-boiled it’ll take about 10-12minutes).
3. Once your timer goes off, plunge the egg into cold water to stop the cooking and cool the shells quickly for peeling.
4. Peel the egg (it can help to use the pack of a teaspoon to gently hit the shell to crack it) and place it in a bowl. “Scramble” the egg with a fork.
5. Add the chives and mayonnaise to the “scrambled” egg and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. You are ready to serve. I like it on toast and a bed of rocket and topped with tomatoes, spring onions and a pinch of smoked paprika.