Spiced Banana Loaf
12th February 2022
This warming, spicy recipe is my take on the classic banana loaf.
MY TIP: Keep the chunks of banana quite thick so they keep their shape, add extra texture, and melt in the mouth when eaten!
* 50g softened salted butter
* 75g muscovado sugar (plus extra for topping)
* 1 egg
* 75g plain flour
* ½ tsp baking powder
* ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
* ½ tsp cinnamon
* ½ tsp ginger
* 2 bananas
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* ¼ tsp nutmeg
* 1lb baking tin
* Greaseproof paper
* Mixing bowl
* Whisk and spoon
1. Preheat the oven at 180degreesC.
2. Start by creaming together the butter and sugar. Then add a whisked egg.
3. Sift in the dry ingredients (plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger), and gently combine all together.
4. Mash one banana with vanilla extract, and gently stir this into your cake batter.
5. Add the batter to a lined pound baking tin.
6. Roughly chop a second banana into chunks, and lightly press them into the batter. Then, top with a little nutmeg and sugar.
7. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the cake is golden and starting to pull away from the edges.