23rd September 2021
spicy beans & sausages
A delicious, warming meal, perfect for the darker evenings of Autumn and Winter.
My Tip: If you like fiery foods, try adding some dried or fresh chillis along with the other spices!
* 2 Sausages (I used Quorn)
* 1/2 Thickly diced red onion
* 1 Crushed garlic clove
* 1 Tsp Turmeric
* 2 Tsp Smoked paprika
* 2 Tsp honey
* 1 Tbsp sunflower oil
* 1/4 cup Black eyed beans
* 100ml Passata
* A few stalks of tenderstem broccoli
* A small handful of seeds
* Salt & pepper to season
* Toasted sourdough bread
1. Cook the sausages as per instructions.
2. Heat a little oil in a separate frying pan. Add the onion and garlic, cook until soft.
3. Add the spices and honey to a bowl. Mix and add a dash of oil to loosen the mixture. Stir through the beans. Add this mixture to the onions and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes on a medium heat.
4. Slice the cooked sausages into rounds and add to the spicy onion, garlic, and beans pan. Cook until the beans & sausages start to crisp and go golden.
5. Add the passata to the pan and reduce down.
6. Slice the broccoli longways to create finer stalks. Add to a separate pan (use the one from the sausages if cooked on the hob) and cook until starting to crisp.
7. You’re read to plate up! Start with your toast, then add the broccoli, the spicy bean & sausage mix, and finally the seeds. Finish with salt and pepper.