500g Puff Pastry Block
200g Cream Cheese
1 Medium Butternut Squash
2 Garlic Cloves
2tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 White Onions
14th June 2020
Veggie Puff Pastry Tarts
A delcious treat for a summers evening. Can be made in advance and served warm or cold.
1. Preheat the oven to 180degreesC.
2, Begin by preparing the butternut squash by chopping it up into 1cm sized cubes and smash one garlic clove. Put it in a baking tray with one tablespoon of vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 25-30minutes, until soft and starting to go golden.
3. Prepare the rest of the filling by dicing the onion and the second garlic clove. Then add these to the remaining vegetable oil to a frying pan. Lightly fry until soft and transulent, and then add the spinach. Cook until wilted.
4. Dice you feta into cubes and put the cream cheese in a bowl.
5. Have all of your ingredient ready: the squash in one bowl, the spinach mix in another and the feta in another. In a separate bowl, crack your egg and whisk. Have your cream cheese ready.
6 Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a one pound coin, and cut into portions (4 or 6 squares). You may need to add some plain flour to your worktop.
7. Now you are ready to assemble! Start by speading a thin layer of cream cheese over the base of the pastry square, leading a half cm boarder around the entire centre. This will allow space for your to turn over the corners, allowing it to turn into a tart!
8. Next add the butternut squash and sit the spinach within this. Top with a crumble of the feta.
9. Egg wash the sides of the pastry you left free of filling. Turn the corners of the pastry over, to create a "tart". Egg wash the tops for a gloss and golden brown finish.
10. Place in the oven for 20-25minutes.
11. Add a sprinkle of chopped parsley
12. Serve with a vegetable side, asparagus works perfectly!