28th April 2020
Kale Pesto Pasta
A simple pesto recipe, with a twist on the classic.
My Tip: You can get really creative with this recipe.. using different nuts or seeds; swapping out the cheese for nutritional yeast if you are looking for a dairy alternative; using different dark leafy greens that need using us like spinach leaves or broccoli florets; or adding different flavourings for example chilli for an extra punch. This recipe is here to be creative with and use up what you have in the kitchen!
* 80g Pine Nuts
* 80g Parmesan
* 100g Kale
* 2 medium cloves of garlic
* 75ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* 1 small lemon - Juice and Zest
* 300g of wholemeal spaghetti
* Salt and Pepper for seasoning
* A sprinkle of sugar
* Extra Kale and pine nuts
* A handful of cherry tomatoes
* A handful of frozen peas
* A sprinkle of feta
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180degreesC.
2. Roast the garlic, in their skin, for 30 minutes. Once soft, take out of the oven and peel their skin off. You should be able to press on the garlic and almost spread it like butter. Put to one side.
3. Grate the parmesan.
4. Heat up a frying pan and toast the pine for a few minutes, until golden. Make sure to keep an eye on them, they can burn fast!
5. Put the kale, garlic, oil, lemon juice, parmesan and pine nuts into a blender. Blitz until smooth, adding a little extra oil if it is too thick. You have made your pesto!
6. Put your pasta on and cook as instructed. Wholemeal spaghetti takes a little over 10 minutes n a rolling boil.
7. Once cooked strain your spaghetti, keeping the pasta water.
8. Add the pesto to the cooked spaghetti, season to your taste with salt, pepper and sugar. If it needs loosening, add a little of the pasta water.
9. While the pasta is cooking, in the last couple of minutes I really like to add peas to the water, which cook alongside it.
10. Another thing while the pasta is cooking, put a little kale and tomatoes in the oven to roast for 10 minutes, making them crispy and serve with your pesto pasta.
11. Keep a few of your toasted pine nuts spare and serve on top or stir thou your pasta before serving to add a lovely extra crunch!
12. Or to serve, crumble some feta over the top!
13. Get creative and use what you have in the house! Add balsamic vinegar glaze or chilli flakes to serve or roast any veggies you have and stir them through! Enjoy! x