Lemon Poppyseed Traybake
5th October 2023
This recipe uses dark muscovado sugar which adds caramel notes while the yoghurt makes the sponge extra soft!
My Tip: You’ll know your traybake is cooked when the cake bounces back to touch, is pulling away from the edges of your tin, or a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
* 175g softened butter
* 175g dark muscovado sugar (plus 2tbsp for icing!)
* 3 eggs
* 3 lemons - juiced & zested
* 2tbsp natural yoghurt
* 3tbsp poppy seeds
* 200g self-raising flour
1. Pre heat your oven to 180degreesC and line a non-stick baking tray with grease proof paper (I used a 30cm by 23cm tin but if you want thicker cake, use a smaller tin).
2. Cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Add in your eggs, 1 by 1, mixing well. The mix in half the lemon juice, all lemon zest, and the yoghurt. The mixture may split in this step but don’t worry - it should come back together next!
4. Sift in the flour, and gently fold into the mixture alongside the poppy seeds.
5. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for about 20-25 mins (or longer if using a smaller tin!).
6. Mix together the leftover lemon juice and extra sugar for icing. Use your cake tester/ a knife to make several holes in the cakes surface ready for the icing the pour into. Add the icing evenly over the top of your tray bake.
7. Allow to set for a couple of minutes, and it is ready to be sliced, served and enjoyed!